This is a simplified one anastamosis variation on the traditional gastric bypass ( RNYGBP) which has become increasingly popular over the last 5 years as both a primary and revisional option.
The Omega Loop Gastric Bypass combines a long narrow sleeve with a bypass onto a loop of small bowel aprox 200 cm from the commencement of the small bowel.
- Simpler to perform than a roux en-y bypass laparoscopically.
- Seems to have the same weight loss outcomes as Roux en Y.
- Fewer long term complications from bowel obstruction/ internal hernia.
- A good operation for diabetics.
- A good revision option for failed sleeves.
- Dumping syndrome is less common than RNYGBP.
- Produces significant malabsorbtion to Iron and calcium. Supplements will be needed lifelong.
- Reflux may be a problem in 5-10%.
- Not easy to reverse.
- Leaks are difficult to manage.
- Can get ulcer at join … especially if still smoking or on NSAID’s
At Mercy Bariatrics we currently see Omega Loop Gastric Bypass as a good revision option in failed sleeves who are not suitable for a resleeve.
Mercy Bariatrics Perth
We are leaders in the field of bariatric surgery and offer a fully integrated approach to weight loss. This includes proper assessment, surgery, dietitians, exercise physiologists, support and education.