Christmas is a time for family and friends to gather together and spend quality time. Gatherings often involve food and drink and this can be challenging for the bariatric patient.
Bariatric Surgery Patients
If you have only recently had surgery, your capacity to eat and drink may still be limited and so it is important to concentrate on enjoying the social aspect of the occasion rather than worrying about what you can’t manage. There are plenty of bite sized tasty foods that you can enjoy as well as fruit flavoured drinks to quench you thirst.
For those that have had their surgery several years ago and whose tummies may feel less restricted, Christmas is a time to enjoy a few treats but avoid the temptation of over indulging. Eating too much over the Christmas break or drinking excessive alcohol is likely to lead to regret in the new year!
Healthy Christmas Food Choices
Try These Tasty Food Combinations
Here are some ideas for a tasty and healthy festive platter:
- mixed olives and fetta cubes
- mixed nuts with dried cranberries and apricots
- wholegrain rice crackers with light cream cheese, smoked salmon and cucumber
- carrot, celery and capsicum sticks with hommus, avocado, beetroot, eggplant or roasted pumpkin dip
- chargrilled Mediterranean vegetables (yellow, red and green capsicum, zucchini, eggplant, artichoke)
- small bunches of red, green and black grapes
- fresh strawberries, bluberries and cherries
- garlic and chilli prawns with fresh lemon
- shaved honey, mustard and clove ham
- marinated tandorri chicken tenderloins
- mini Morrocan lamb meat balls
- mini Thai chicken patties
- cherry tomatoes, basil and bocconcini balls
- mini date, apricot and cocoa bliss balls
Healthy Christmas Drink Choices
Make up a jug of fruit infused iced water to keep hydrated between meals!
Try These Delicious Drink Combinations
Add the following combinations to a jug, top up with cold water and ice:
- slices of orange, lemon and lime
- fresh stawberry halves and slices of lime
- slices of orange and cucumber, sprig of fresh mint
- slices of fresh pineapplea and lime, sprig of fresh mint
- lemon slices and fresh peeled ginger
- slices of watermelon and lime
- fresh raspberries, kiwi and mandarin
You may be interested in more delicious recipes designed for people who have had bariatric surgery. See them here…