Teen Bariatric Surgery Outcomes
The benefits of Bariatric Surgery extend far beyond just weight loss. If your obesity has been causing other symptoms or disease, it is likely that losing excess weight will also resolve some of these conditions.
The weight loss after Bariatric surgery is dramatic and well maintained and we see the same quality outcomes in teens as in adults. Typically we expect you to lose close to 35-40% of your total body weight by 2 years. We will see your BMI come down to below 30 and your excess weight reduced by 85-90%.
Factors which affect the amount of weight loss include:
- Your starting BMI or weight
- The size of the stomach tube we create
- How well you engage in exercise and correct eating behaviour
- How well you engage with follow-up
See our results: https://mercybariatrics.com.au/the-mercy-approach/our-results/
These results are the ones we rely on with our adult patients.
The Teen Time Bariatrics program makes use of our years of expertise in this space, and we have created a dedicated program for teens.
The preparation, education and support program are 100% customised for teenagers, but the success rates and outcomes after weight loss surgery for teens, are expected to be completely in line with our general average outcomes as listed on the results page.
Resolution Of Co-Morbidities
We know that, as a teenager, your first priority when you look into bariatric surgery, is to lose weight. So what do we mean by “Resolution of Co-Morbidities” when we talk about this procedure? In simple terms: getting rid of other health problems that were linked to being obese.
Here are a few things to consider when you (as a teenager) or your child (if you are a parent looking into this treatment for your teen) are considering obesity surgery:
- Most of the comorbidities associated with obesity, and particularly diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnoea, asthma and painful joints will be either completely resolved or significantly improved with weight loss.
- Patients on CPAP machines are usually able to discontinue their CPAP within 3-6 months of Surgery.
- Fertility and Libido are also significantly improved after weight loss. Something to think about in the first few months after surgery as we would recommend not falling pregnant within the first 12 months after surgery!
- Psoriasis, which is more common in the obese, dramatically improves with weight loss.
- Depression and social anxiety often improves with weight loss but sometimes additional psychological work may be needed to ensure this.
- Most patients also experience an improvement in their feeling of self-worth and confidence as well as improved energy particularly as their sleep apnoea resolves.
- There is also now strong evidence that Obesity Surgery extends life compared to best conservative management and also improves the quality of life.
The key however is early intervention because the longer a comorbidity has been damaging your health the harder it may be to reverse.
Feeling Better About Yourself
In teenagers who have chosen to have weight loss surgery, we see that they usually start to feel better about themselves. Another comment we often hear is that they feel that the ‘fit in more’ with their peers. We know that your weight shouldn’t define how you feel about yourself, but there is no no doubt that for many adolescents their confidence grows as their waist line is reduced.
Doing Things You Never Thought You Could
Imagine if your weight no longer prevented you from trying all those activities which you previously avoided. Because they were too hard or because you felt uncomfortable doing them.
Your teenage years can now be filled with new activities and adventures. Your weight shouldn’t hold you back any longer.
As a specialist weight loss surgeon, and as a team of specialists having helped thousands of obese patients in Perth, we see the impact and change on a daily basis.
Hearing about the life-changing effect a treatment can have on people’s lives, is what inspires us here at Teen Time Bariatrics.
If you are not sure what to expect, please speak to our friendly team and ask about typical outcomes of weight loss surgery in your age group.
Our team will be happy to share some of the stories that they have witnessed over the years.
Life Just Got A Whole Lot Easier
Some of the outcomes aren’t rocket science, but really make sense if you look at the change that occurs. So many aspects of life as a teenager and as a young adult, now become easier:
- Shopping for clothes becomes an easier process with a wider choice and that in itself makes you feel…more like the others and more confident because you have that choice.
- Comfortably sitting on bus and airline seats…Patients tell us that their travel experience is totally different after their weight loss treatment.
- Walking to school and walking up hills becomes easier. Where the excess weight would have stopped certain teenagers from even going for the shortest walk, it now becomes a new healthy habit.
- Your appetite and desire for food stops ruling your life. Your ‘Success Habits’ have inspired you to make smart choices and you really start enjoying the change.
- Fitting into a wetsuit, climbing a tree, going to the beach, riding a horse. We are sure that you can create your own list of little things you now get more pleasure from. And that’s why the outcomes of a weight loss treatment, as a teenager, can become a really massive thing that changes your entire life.